Personal, Social and Health Education
We believe that PSHE and citizenship should enable children to become healthier, more independent and more responsible members of society. We encourage our pupils to play a positive role in contributing to the life of the school and the wider community. In doing so, we help develop their sense of self-worth. We teach them how society is organised and governed. We ensure that the children experience the process of democracy through participation in class management. We teach children both about their rights and their responsibilities. They learn to appreciate what it means to be a positive member of a diverse multicultural society.
The objectives of PSHE and citizenship are to enable the children to:
- Know and understand a healthy and active lifestyle
- Be aware of safety issues;
- Understand what makes for good relationships with others; Have respect for others and keep safe from bullying, harassment and discrimination (Circle Time);
- Be independent members of a community, such as school;
- Be positive and active members of a democratic society (School council);
- Develop self-confidence and self-esteem, and make informed choices regarding personal and social issues;
- Develop good relationships with other members of the community (positive role models for success in life.)
At Kingfisher we use the One Decision learning programme throughout school, for more information see below.